For centuries, this city that is home to the Red Sea has been the melting pot for traders, travelers and pilgrims. The capital of the largest city of the Middle East until 1982, Jeddah represents every race of the Red Sea, and is a major port and an important commercial centre. It is an open air city, filled with pieces of open air art wherever you go. Although the gateway to millions of pilgrims heading to Mecca, the city is famous for its wealth of restaurants, cafes and shopping centres.
Whether it is the Egyptians that sit at café tables puffing shisha waterpipes, Yemeni tailors sitting cross-legged in fabric shops o Somalian and Djiboutain women exhibiting their wealth of spices, the city is far more liberal than most in the country.
If you’ve never been to Jeddah, here are a few exciting travel trivia fillers for you.
1. Jeddah is a city of open art galleries. It is evident that art plays an important role in the past, present and future of Jeddah because wherever you go, the city is booming with creative arts from local and international artists.
2. Eve’s tomb is believed to be situated somewhere in the city.
3. Jeddah has the world’s tallest unsupported flagpole.
4. Bringing a familiarity to the Petra in Jordan, Maa’in Saleh is home to ancient Nabataean ruins with preserved carvings in a beautiful desert setting.
5. Jeddah has a floating mosque with breathtaking views in its corniche area.
6. With the city immersed in history, it should come as no surprise that Jeddah has 4 UNESCO heritage sites.
7. The pulsating vibe of the city can be thoroughly felt at its local markets and delicious culinary treats.
8. Built-in the late 1800’s, the Naseef House is a must visit for its over 100 rooms that are filled with everything, from wood carvings to ornate calligraphy scrolls.
9. The city is home to several museums and is a definite treat to history lovers.
If you find these exciting, the city has much more to offer. When planning your trip, ensure to choose a safe, comfortable and reliant stay. A recommendation would be any of Ascott’s 4 properties that offer global living amenities with the comforts and facilities of a home.
The global giant in serviced living apartments is offering up to 25% off on stays at their properties: Ascott Tahlia Jeddah, Ascott Sari Jeddah, Citadines Al Salamah Jeddah and Spectrums Residence Jeddah. All properties have been certified by world-leading and testing company Bureau Veritas as part of their Ascott Cares initiative, and assure a memorable stay when with them. To avail the Advance Purchase offer, visit the-ascott.com/offers